THE BASIC RULES:
- Your submission must be a brand new song.
- Your submission must be an original song.
- Your submission must contain one of that month’s prompts.
- You must submit SOMETHING by the due date(s) at midnight PST.
If you fail to abide by rules 1-3, GTFO. Goodbye.
If you fail to abide by rule 4, a Three-Strike policy comes into play.
At your third strike, you are removed from the group and can never return.
- Co-writes and collaborations with songwriters/singers, etc. both within and outside of TNG group are acceptable submissions, so long as your submission contains at least one prompt. If both writers are TNG participants, that one song satisfies both parties’ requirement for that prompt or prompt period.
- Entries may include more than one prompt, but all submissions must contain at least one prompt to be eligible. (For instance, don’t use two prompts in one submission and then exclude a prompt from your next submission.)
- It is OK if the prompts are “massaged” a bit to fit the narrative, as long as they key words are present and closely resemble original prompt. (“Brokenhearted” OK as “my broken heart,” etc.)
- Submissions may be fully produced tracks, demos taped with your phone voice memo app, or anything in between. Quality of production is completely up to the participant. There must be a musical component and a lyrical/vocal component for submission to be eligible. The occasional instrumental piece titled as prompt is OK, but must be longer than 1min 15 seconds to be considered eligible. (Please don’t submit a recording with you playing a I-IV-ii-V change for longer than a minute and think you’ll get away with it. You won’t.)
- You must turn in SOMETHING means that it can be as fully-formed or skeletal as you like, as long as there is a lyrical and musical component to the recording. A verse-chorus-chorus is acceptable as long as it is longer than 1 minute, 15 seconds (for example).
This should go without saying, but definitely do not share, leak, cover or in any other regard release another artist’s song without express permission. Even if you’re really excited about it. If you are not sure how to contact them, but are dying to record, film, or play live a song you heard another artist write for TNG, please email TNG admin and you will be connected.